Frequently Asked Questions

We know there are always questions and considerations you might have when planning a vacation. The following are answers to some of the most asked questions we have received from our guests when considering signing up for a tour.

  • Why should I sign up for an event instead of doing the event on my own?

    You will see sights and travel to areas you might not ever consider when traveling on your own. We have been there and know the important things to see and do. Traveling with a caravan or attending an adventure removes the stress of uncertainties when traveling in an unfamiliar area. Winnebago Outdoor Adventures has done the research and planning. We make campground reservations, provide meals at some of the best restaurants in town, and provide guided tours and sightseeing excursions.

    You will learn more about the area than you could learn on your own with the narration of local guides, some who actually have come out of retirement only to do step-on guide service for Winnebago Outdoor Adventures.

    You will meet and travel with other guests from all over the United States and Canada, experiencing more fun than you ever imagined, and develop friendships that will no doubt last a lifetime.

  • What is the difference between an adventure and a caravan?

    An adventure takes place in one city location and usually lasts from 4-15 days. A caravan will travel from city to city. The duration of a caravan can be from 14-50 days.

  • How do I sign up for an event?

    You can sign up for a Winnebago Outdoor Adventures event by calling the WOA office at (641)585-6267/6466 or by filling out a registration form on the website.

  • How much does the event cost?

    The full cost of an event is noted on that event’s page on the website. WIT members receive a 10% discount off that advertised price.

  • Do you limit reservations to a certain type of RV?

    We take all types of RVs, but they must be self-contained.

  • What is included in the event cost?

    Camping fees including hookups, admission to attractions noted in the itinerary, meals noted in the itinerary, busing except when traveling a short distance where guests will use their tow cars, event hosts, taxes, and gratuities are all included.

  • How many RVs do you take on a caravan?

    22 – 25 maximum.

  • Where and when will we make the initial deposit and final payment?

    When you register for an event you will make a deposit. A $200 deposit is required for Adventures and a $400 deposit is required for Caravans. Upon receipt of your deposit, we will send confirmation of your space on the event and a receipt for your deposit noting the balance due 120 days prior to the start of the event. Payments may be made over the phone by credit card or mailed to the Winnebago Outdoor Adventures Office: PO Box 268, Forest City, IA 50436.

  • How many RVs do you take on an adventure?

    Most adventures are 22 units maximum. There are a few like the Branson Country Christmas, Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, and the Puerto Penasca, Mexico Adventure where we will take more than 22.

  • How many motorhomes do you take on a caravan?

    22–25 maximum.

  • How many motorhomes do you take on an adventure?

    Most adventures are 22 maximum. There are a few like the San Antonio Fiesta, Branson Country Christmas, Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, Washington D.C., and the Norsk Hostfest where we will take more than 22.

  • How many miles do you travel in a caravan?

    When traveling from campground to campground, 150 miles per day is the average. Travel can be as few as 40 miles or up to 350 miles in a day. Total miles traveled in a caravan can be anywhere from 380 miles to over 4,000 miles.

  • Who will host this event?

    On an adventure you will have your event hosts. On a caravan you will have your event hosts and tailenders.

    Note: To avoid canceling a caravan, Winnebago Outdoor Adventures may run a caravan with only one host couple if we do not receive the minimum number of RV reservations required to run the event.

  • Are the event hosts and tailenders competent and experienced?

    Yes! We choose top quality people who are professionals possessing outstanding leadership skills. All have had hands-on training and experience and are eager to make your event the most memorable of all.

  • Where and when do we meet to begin the event?

    You will be informed of the rendezvous campground in the Sneak Preview sent out by email approximately 6 weeks prior to the first day of the event. Directions to the campground will be included in this information.

  • Will we get to know the other people on the tour?

    Definitely. A “Who’s Who List” with the names and addresses of guests registered for the event will be sent out with the Sneak Preview information. Some guests will arrive at the rendezvous campground a day or two early just to meet others signed up for the event. Reservations and campground expense for early arrival are your responsibility. Socials will also be held during the event as a way to get to know other participants.

  • Will I need a passport when traveling outside of the United States?

    It is required for all travelers to have a valid passport for identification when traveling outside of the United States.

    For information on how to obtain a passport, see the State Department’s travel website or CIBT (Expedia’s passport partner), or call the U.S. National Passport Information Center: 1-877-4USA-PPT; TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793.

    Keep in mind you need to allow time for your passport to be processed, which can take several weeks.

  • Why would you want to go on an event with Winnebago Outdoor Adventures?

    The following are some of the comments sent in from our event participants:

    • The planning is all done for us.
    • The security of having hosts and tailenders.
    • A chance to make new friends.
    • The convenience of door-to-door bus travel.
    • Received excellent value for our money and time.
    • Stress-free travel.
    • Seeing places we would not take the time to see on our own.
    • Hosts, tour guides, drivers were the best! I might add to this that there are several rallies where we have the best guides in the area who may have retired, or people who we have found that have more knowledge of the area than anyone, who will only do tours for WOA.
    • The side trips were all very good and well organized.
    • Friendly people.
    • Rally host and assistants were very knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, and willing to assist.
    • The marvelous food and tours!
    • The variety of events were excellent, and we got a lot for our money.
    • Well organized, constant follow-ups, good teamwork, outstanding tour.
    • The overall professional handling of the tour.
    • We have taken escorted European tours, all-inclusive cruises with tours, and other travel, and this by far has been one of our best experiences.

  • What kind of insurance do I need on my RV?

    You will want to check with your own insurance company to see if you are covered when traveling in Canada and Mexico.

    U.S. motorists planning to travel in Canada need to obtain a Canadian Non-Resident Inter-Provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card which is accepted as evidence of financial responsibility anywhere in Canada. It is available only in the U.S. through your insurance company or their insurance agents.

    U.S. motorists planning to travel in Mexico are required to have liability insurance (minimum) issued through a Mexican company. Liability policies provide NO coverage for collision, overturning, fire, etc. Full coverage insurance is available.

  • What do I need to do to get ready for our trip?

    Information about what to expect during your trip, emergency phone numbers, a list of campgrounds with their addresses, proper clothing attire, and other necessities you will want to bring will be included in your Sneak Preview sent out by e-mail approximately 4-6 weeks prior to the beginning of the event. Your Sneak Preview will inform you of the following:

    • The names of your event hosts
    • Name, phone number, and directions to the rendezvous campground
    • The time you can begin checking into the campground
    • Time of event orientation
    • A day-by-day outline of what to expect during the event
    • Proper dress for the event
    • What weather to expect during the event
    • Hookups provided at each campground
    • Number of meals provided
    • An Emergency Data Sheet for each guest to fill out. Your hosts will carry the Emergency Data Sheets with them at all times in case you are in need of medical treatment
    • A list of people attending the event in case you may want to caravan with a person from your state, or perhaps see who else is attending the event
    • Information on cancellation insurance
    • A list of campgrounds with addresses and phone numbers for you to leave with a relative or friend to be able to contact you in case of an emergency
    • A Special Needs Sheet for you to inform the office staff and hosts of a special need or handicap. You will fill this sheet out and give to your hosts at orientation.

  • If I do not own a Winnebago Industries product, can I sign up for a WOA caravan or adventure?


  • During a caravan will there be time in the schedule and places for me to get my hair or nails done each week?

    We do our best to provide free days in areas providing facilities for your personal needs.

  • Do I need to bring a tow car?

    Tow cars are recommended as there may be areas you will want to tour on your own during a free day where you are unable to take your motorhome. There may be times when tow cars are used for traveling a short distance from the campground to a restaurant or attraction.

  • CB Radios

    CB radios are required on caravans. A CB radio is required for communication among caravan participants during travel days to ensure a smooth and safe caravanning operation. You can use a hand-held CB radio as long as it has CB radio frequency and is not the FRS (Family Radio Service).

  • May I bring my pet along?

    Pets are welcome. Please understand that you are responsible for your pet, including making arrangements for pet walkers and overnight accommodations when needed.

  • What happens if I cancel the trip?

    For information on the Winnebago Outdoor Adventures cancellation policy, click here.

  • What happens if I have to leave the event before it is over and return home?

    We have had cases where there is a death in the family, medical emergency, motorhome breakdown, or an accident involving a motorhome causing the participant to leave the event early. If this were to happen to you, you will sign a “Release From Event Form” releasing Winnebago Outdoor Adventures and Winnebago Industries of any liability concerning the event, with the understanding you will not receive a refund for monies paid to Winnebago Outdoor Adventures for the event. We encourage you to have Trip Cancellation Insurance, as there are no refunds once the event starts.

  • Trip cancellation insurance:

    Cancellation insurance can be purchased through Farm and City Insurance. For a quote, and to understand what is covered, and what is not covered, call 1-800-331-1520.

  • Who is responsible in case of damage or injury sustained on the caravan/adventure?

    Winnebago Outdoor Adventures acts as an agent only for suppliers who provide the services advertised. Winnebago Outdoor Adventures and Winnebago Industries, accepts no liability for damage or injury sustained on tours.

  • Health Policy:

    It is necessary that persons requiring assistance be accompanied by a companion who is capable of, and totally responsible for providing assistance. Winnebago Outdoor Adventures will make every attempt to provide you with an enjoyable tour. Due to numerous responsibilities, your event hosts cannot and will not be responsible for your care.

  • Is there anything else I should know?

    In signing up for an adventure or caravan, please be aware of the following:

    • It is very important you inform the Winnebago Outdoor Adventures office staff of your special needs including special diets before the tour begins. Come prepared to substitute your own food if vendors will not substitute certain foods for you.
    • You are required to have a care provider with you throughout this event if you are not able to conduct essential life functions necessary in participating on an adventure or caravan, such as driving a motorhome in a safe and proper manner, maintaining normal care and maintenance of motorhome, walking without assistance, or good vision.
    • The care provider is responsible for assisting you with your special needs.
    • Scooters can be loaded into the bus bays, and wheelchairs are to be collapsible. When the bus is not able to accommodate a scooter or wheelchair, the guest can drive his/her tow car or not participate in the event.